It's been 20 years since the plane went down and the world lost John Denver. That's two thirds of my life, so why am I writing about it? Why does someone who died when I was 9 mean so much to me? Well, let me tell you about what John Denver means to me.
I was raised listening to his music. He was, and still is, my mother's favorite artist. But it's more than that. Its the way music slides into your life while you're not paying attention. When you hear a song on the radio, one you heard years ago, and it brings up a great memory, you fall in love with that song, and that moment, all over again. That's my life, and John Denver is the soundtrack. I can't drive down a back road without hearing Country Roads in my head. For one road in particular it was tradition to have it playing when we got off the highway. It doesn't matter if I have other music playing, it feels wrong if it's not John Denver in those moments.
He spoke out for conservation at a time when that wasn't the popular opinion. He held a concert to support the World Wildlife Fund, and drew attention to it. He wanted the environment to matter, and for the wilderness to still be there for his kids, a sentiment widely shared now. I can't help but wonder what he would have contributed to the discussion if he had been here to continue his work.
I used to listen to his music and find meaning in the words, imagining my future. I always thought of myself dancing to For You at my wedding (and I did) and I wanted to learn to play his music, to share it with others (I didn't do this, I don't really play my guitar, or sing, very well).
A few years ago, I went to see Chantal Kreviazuk in concert. It was an interesting night, because not only did she play songs I knew she had written, she played ones I had no idea were even hers, and I realized something. This woman, this amazing songwriter, who other people had come to for their songs, she had performed a song by John Denver, and it was a huge hit for her. It says a lot for his talent that someone as amazing as her would perform his work.
So 20 years out, and I can't help but be a little sad, not because I knew him personally, but because for me his work is very personal, so John, if you're out there somewhere, I hope you know that you mattered. Your work made a difference.
"Some said he was crazy
Some are glad he's gone
Some of us will miss him
And will try to carry on
Giving a voice to the forest
Giving a voice to the dawn
Giving a voice to the wilderness
And the land that he lived on."
-Wild Montana Skies
-John Denver
Thursday, October 12, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment